1. The Board of the International Association for Urban Climate (IAUC) shall normally have 14 members, 10 elected by the membership at-large. The Board will include
(a) a President elected by the Board,
(b) a Secretary elected by the Board,
(c) plus 4 members who are normally the organizer of the previous and of the next ICUC conference as well as the Past-President and Past-Secretary. Additional non-voting members of the Board may also be appointed by approval of the Board. ‘Approval’ requires support of two thirds of the Board.
2. If any unusual circumstance arises to prevent application of the normal procedures outlined below, a decision on how to proceed to fill Board positions will be made by a majority decision of the remaining members.
B. Elected Members of the Board::
1. Elected members of the Board serve for a period of four years and have full voting rights.
2. Under normal circumstances, two elected members will rotate off the Board in August of each year. When possible, nominations will be sought in March and elections held in April.
3. Members whose terms of office end are not eligible for re-election for a period of two years.
4. In the event that an elected Board member resigns prior to completion of his/her term, an election will be held immediately to fill the vacant position for the remainder of the term.
C. The Board Executive::
1. The President is elected by the Board from current or past elected Board members two years in advance of the date of taking office. If elected at a Board meeting the vote is by a show of hands with the candidates excluded from the room. If a Board member is unable to attend the vote can be forwarded by e-mail to the Secretary. Election may also be by e-mail, run by the Secretary. The President-Elect remains on the Board until his/her term as President begins, however long he/she has been on the Board. If a past member is elected she/he will rejoin the Board for the two years prior to installation to ensure continuity of business.
2. The Secretary is elected by the Board from current or past elected Board members two years in advance of the date of taking office. If elected at a Board meeting the vote is by a show of hands with the candidates excluded from the room. If a Board member is unable to attend the vote can be forwarded by e-mail to the President. Election may also be by e-mail, run by the President. The Secretary-Elect remains on the Board until his/her term as Secretary begins, however long he/she has been on the Board. If a past member is elected she/he will rejoin the Board for the two years prior to installation to ensure continuity of business.
3. The President and Secretary serve in those positions for four years from the date of their taking office. They remain on the board for another 4 years as non-voting members as the Past-President and Past-Secretary, respectively.
4. In the event that the President or Secretary resigns prior to completion of her/his term, the Board will immediately hold a vote to replace her/him for the remainder of the term, and hold an at-large election for a new Board member.
D. Appointed Board Members::
1. The President will appoint to the Board the Local Organizer of the next International Conference on Urban Climate, if that person is not already a Board member. This person will be a full voting member of the Board. Her/his term of office will begin on the date the conference is awarded and will end at the time of the conference following that organized by them (i.e. their term on the Board lasts for two conferences, their own and the next). In the event that the next organizer is already an elected Board member, and if the past organizer is elected President or Secretary, the Board will determine how best, and on what schedule, to reconstitute itself at full strength.
2. Additional members of the Board may be appointed by the President with the agreement of a 2/3 the majority of the Board. These members will participate in all Board discussions but be non-voting. Such persons might include representatives of organisations/societies involved in major collaboration with IAUC, or persons chosen to correct under-representation of geographic regions or fields of urban climate study. Such additional appointed members shall serve until the end of the term of office of the President by whom they were appointed.
E. Procedures for Elections::
1. The Secretary (or other person designated by the Board) contacts the membership of the IAUC whenever a vacancy exists on the Board, indicating how many positions are available and seeking nominations for those positions. This contact is initiated by e-mail using the e-mail addresses provided by members in the membership database.
2. The membership is given one month from the date of notification to nominate (by e-mail) candidates (which need to be members) for the open position(s). The person nominating a candidate should name 2 other members who also support the nomination. In the case of self-nomination 3 other members need to support the nomination. All persons should e-mail the Secretary (or other designated person) to confirm their support within the nomination period.
3. At the completion of the nomination period, if the number of nominations exceeds the number of available positions, an election is held. If not, the nominees are considered to have been elected.
4. If an election is required, the candidate list is announced to the membership by e-mail and the election, conducted via the internet, is be concluded within one month. The appropriate number of candidates receiving the most votes will be deemed to have been elected to the available positions.
5. The result of the election will be announced to the membership using e-mail and posted on the IAUC web site.